23 October 2011

7 Happenings from Last Week


Pull up a chair, it would be time to reflect on the joys (and frustrations) of the week. 

1. Autumn is here!  It is in the leaves, the mitten weather, the rain and the pumpkins.  Everything has sprouted layers of spicy, orangey hues.  Cafe's & coffee ships have added pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie, pumpkin french toast, pumpkin bread, pumpkin scones, pumpkin swirl rolls, pumpkin oatmeal bars, pumpkin-spice bagels, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin whatever to their menus.  Jack-o-lanterns adorn every nook and cranny of rooms.  Dormitory hall ways are decked out in paper leaves.  I might actually be going into overload. ^_^ Nah.  I love every obsessed bit of autumn--down to my frozen toes.





2. Hummus humbao and Halloween cupcakes at Bernice's Bakery. 'Nuff said.  Whoever had the genius idea to stick hummus inside of a roll deserves some sort of vegan medal of honor.  They have become my lunch-time, snack-time, just-in-the-area-time indulgence. Yum.  Also, this past Friday, the bakers brought out the frosted devilish delectables.  My favorite creations to ogle at are the spider-web cheesecakes and cupcakes.

Hummus humbao.  Seriously, I could eat one of these huge buns for lunch everyday.  

 From left to right: red velvet eye ball, yellow cake monster under the bed, spice cake pumpkin batch, vegan chocolate raspberry brain, devil’s food wolverine, mocha cream owl

Spider web cheesecake.  Aren't the little chocolate arachnids adorable?


3. Writing essays!  I had/have three due in the course of 4 days.  University writing courses officially rank below cleaning the toilets on my "want to do list."  Too much expected in too short of time.  I am by no means saying AP writing courses are not the same way, just in University I have already determined that Chemistry and Anatomy & Physiology take precedence. Thus, paper writing is done in haste over a steaming mug of caffeine at a coffee shop. Adios proper R&E (revision and editing).  The ladies at B's Bakery have gotten to know me rather well over the past two weeks.  It is to the point that they automatically put the soy-milch out on the counter when I walk in the door.  One perk of my predictability: I officially have a Bernice's Bakery loyalty card.  You heard me; I am now considered a regular customer. I purchase 12 coffees, pastries, hummus humbao, oatmeal things or any combination thereof and I get my 13th on the house.  Mission accomplished (see my earlier post).


4. The pleasures of a persnickety printer and its ink-cartridge partners in crime.  This mechanical devil was the bane of my week.  Whenever I needed to print anything longer than a third of a page, it jammed.  And unlike normal printers, this one has a possessive side.  To extract a single sheet of paper requires the assistance of tweezers, a flashlight held in my mouth, two ball point pens and much elbow grease.  Of course, as soon as the printer finally starts cooperating, I run out of black ink. Dry out.  Whenever I tried to even print in black, the printer would just shoot out a blank sheet of paper after emitting an array of "thinking" noises.  Gah.  Monday through Thursday morning I made due with printing all of my assignments in different colors.  All my professors must think I have a psychedelic child living inside me.  Shamrock green anyone?



 5. Aqua Mirabilis from LUSH.  While LUSH my over-price many of their products, this one is worth all $10.95.  For my dry, sensitive skin--which is only getting dryer as weather turns towards winter--this exfoliator bar both moisturizes and scrubs away all of the "grubbiness."   Not to mention the bar smells freaking amazing.  Almond butter and cocoa butter.  Drool. Now if only I can stretch it out a few more weeks...


6) We are watching movies in philosophy as part of our Freud/Civilization unit. Specifically, the Oscar picture, Crash.  It may be a little bleak and not exactly leave me feeling warm & fuzzy inside, but it’s better than shoveling my way through texts and writing essays. Right?


7) I got a care-pack!!!!!


A peak of what was inside:

I had to laugh when I saw the military rations.  Admittedly, they are vegan, but pale in interest when you compare them to what was below: HALO bars!!!





I hope everyone had an eventful week (in the good way).  Is it starting to look a lot like autumn where you are?  When do you look forward to when autumn rolls around?  

Alrightey, I need to go do laundry now.  All of my hiking socks would be needing some washing if I intend to not have ice-block for phalanges this week.

Cheers, kaite ;]




No comments:

Post a Comment