14 June 2012

The Dresser Project

BEFORE:
About a month ago my Mum picked up this dresser off of Craig's List for aroun $30.
At the time, I was using a bookcase to store all of my clothing in clear plastic buckets I purchased from Ikea when I was probably in the fourth grade.  The whole get-up was functional--and verging on "Scandinavian modern" or "childproof" or "tacky" depending on how one looked at my storage system.  Nevertheless, me thinks I was tragically in the need for an upgrade...  


Multiple coats of the beloved Citristrip later revealed layers upon layers of prehistoric paint. Under all that blue and yellow was red, white and an oakey stain. Yuck. Not a pretty combination when mixed together. Then came days weeks of sanding to grind off the last paint remnants and prep the wood's surface for a new coat of paint/stain.
With a coat of off-white paint, some Jacobean stain, a few layers of wipe-on poly and new hardware, I present my overhauled dresser!
AFTER:
A little bit of unexpected apple green inside the drawers ^_^

I chose to line the drawers with some heavy printed paper from Paper Source.  The pattern is "Flora & Fauna".


I found my hardware at World Market on inspiration from the "Villa Capri Knob" I saw at Anthropologie.



More projects to come soon. 


Cheers,
kaite ;]

No comments:

Post a Comment