06 February 2012

A dormitory done right

A week ago on Apartment Therapy I ran across a post on how two girls overhauled their industrial-blah dormitory room into a rather functional and creative place to live.  And now I am all inspired.  My head is bubbling over with imaginative ways to enhance my small space.  A few more wall hangings here.  A strand of twinkle lights up under the bed.   Clusters of old jars for pens, jewelry, thumbtacks and random accumulative office supplies.  A curtain or trellis-like divider to add shape + structure.  My day-dreams are now consumed with interior-closet-like-space-design. 


My current space looks a bit like this (I apologize for the poor lighting! The snow outside makes my room painfully bright by 11.00am):
 {little glimpse of my bicycle and creative organization/stacking here}

{I figured a sleep picture might induce the right aura to subdue my pitiful insomnia.  Also, its a pretty image.  There's a Hamlet quote printed on top}
One day (or maybe in the next few months) I can incorporate a few elements of these inspirations into my cramped and cozy living space:


Oh the lights. The frames. The shelving. The dividers.  How can I possibly transplant half of this room to Missoula?  

I love the use of curtains, draped fabric and short bookshelves to divide the small room into "sections".  It adds a certain rabbit warren effect to the place. The white colors also open up of the room nicely.  Mmmmmmmmm cozy.  Now if I can just sneak in my own kitty ^_^


This one is just flat out hodge-podge.  But I still love the mixture of half-complete art projects, potted plants (that can survive my dormitory's weather), a frosting-blue desk chair, books proudly stacked/displayed to the point they are furniture themselves.  Currently, my chemistry textbooks have become a sort of coffee table for me while I read in bed.

Any comments?  Does anyone else have room design inspirations they have fallen in love with recently?


Cheers, kaite ;]


1 comment:

  1. Lots of dreaming. How to decorate a closet sounds cramped. What should be done first? I like the idea of putting up a room blind.

    ReplyDelete