21 February 2012

Five Favorites from the Weekend

Its that time in the semester again: mid-terms round one.  This means much recluse behavior, increased coffee consumption, repetitive drawings of molecules and body systems on my mirror, chipped nail varnish, minimal-to-no-showering and insomniac pacing at 4 in the morning.  Whew.  I am already tired and it is only Tuesday afternnon. Before I hunker down with my spreadsheets of leukocytes, allow me to procrastinate. 


I hope everyone thoroughly enjoyed their long Presidents' Day weekend.  Went to the movies. Baked a cake in honor of John Adams or Teddy Roosevelt.  Explored (erm, maybe just re-explored) a part of where you live. Got caught up on errands.  Or just relaxed. I spent my weekend back in Seattle soaking up the rain, 'cuase that's what we do in the Emerald City. 


Here are a few favorites from the past few days (because I am frankly going to need a little cheer to bolster me through to Friday):


1. Duckboots.  You can go romping through water puddles, traverse ice sheets, wear two layers of socks, snowshoe across glaciers and strut around city streets in these boots.  All hail who ever invented this foot gear.

2. French Toast for breakfast.  Mmmmmm. Until Spring break we shall meet again.  My Mum and I picked up a few loaves of the house bread at  Columbia City Bakery on Sunday morning.  The bread alone is scrumptious--sweet, nutty and chewy. My Mum, Dad and brother will literally devour a single loaf of crusty white in a single dinner.  It tastes even nummier french-toastified.  (Apologies for the poor photo quality of my breakfast! I was testing out my phone camera).

3.  Peach nail varnish.  Over Winter break, I painted my grandmother's nails about once a week.  Each time I visited I would give her the royal hand treatment, complete with cuticle oil and hand massage.  While I was home for the weekend I stopped by to doll up her fingers.  Then, I dolled up my own with a  rather spring-like shade of orange. (Color is "Peach Parfait" from ULTA).  Whether I want it or not, spring is here!
4. Downton Abbey Season 2 Finale.  Of course, this Sunday was bitter-sweet. Downton Abbey was on for 2 whole hours. Yay!  But, after that, no more shinanigens between the Crowley family, their servants and house-guests for another year.  So sad. If you haven't already become obsessed, like the rest of the population, go hunt down the episodes on itunes or Prime.

5. Lotion bars + bath oil.  (No. NOT it that way. Send those raunchy thoughts back where they came from!)  This weekend I began to fully appreciate using oil, straight up cocoa butter and essential oil, as a  moisturizer.  The skin on my back, neck, legs, feet ... everywhere dearly appreciated the the TLC I gave it this weekend. While I may love Winter, Winter has it out for my poor skin.  Below is LUSH's lotion bar in their seasonal "Love Potion" blend for St. Valentine's Day.  Another bath oil I re-hydrated my leathery skin is from Soothing Touch.  Their Muscle Comfort blend makes your skin feel all tingly in that "I just had a massage after a long hike" kind of way.

Cheers, kaite ;]

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time in rainy Seattle. Like they say the best thing about rain is that you don't. Have to shovel it out of the driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good weekend!! I didn't know (or possibly forgot) that you watch Downton Abbey! I've got a lot of catching up to do so I'm still on the first season. You can watch for free on Hulu though:)Oh snooty British aristocrats. . .

    ReplyDelete