23 February 2012

POTD: Broccoli + Cheeze Soup

Since I still had some frozen broccoli left in my freezer that need some using up (I detest freezer burned veggies), I made broccoli and cheeze soup. Yum. This soup recipe fit perfectly in with my frazzled schedule and the recent snow flurries around Missoula. Combine 1/2 cup soup mix + 1 cup water + 1 cup frozen broccoli + a few more tidbits floating around in the fridge = warm-me-up-ever-comforting soup.
A little more about the soup mix... It is a product from  Leahey Gardens, a vegan food company that makes soups, macaroni and cheeze, gravy, etc.  As an added bonus, most of their products are also gluten-free.  While the company does use some food additives (such as maltodextrin for thickeners), I was delighted by how much the soup tasted like "real soup." Often near-instant soup mixes can taste waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too salty, or garlicky, or the vegetables lack any lust, or the seasonings are just bland, or the texture is blah.  This soup, however, has me wanting to try other products by Leahey. The texture and flavor before adding all my extra tid-bits was creamy and rich.  I could even spoon up chunks of broccoli and onion in each bite.  (Sales pitch over).  Just go try one of their products and let me know what you think. 
More posting to come soon. But what would you like to hear about next?  I could do a "What to Love", "7 Favorites", a recipe, a Missoula coffee shop review or a restaurant review.  Let me know and I will start drafting new posts in my free hours. 


Back to the world of academia,


Cheers, kaite ;]

2 comments:

  1. I would like to hear a review of the restaurant you went to when you were home last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely planned to write a restaurant log on Tilthe! But the pictures Eric sent me turned out to be a horrible quality since he re-sized them to send via text message. :( I am a little bummed... Next time I will bring a proper camera! For anyone who is interested, go check out the Tilthe menu here: http://www.tilthrestaurant.com/home/food/dinner
      I am still swooning over the Celery Root Soup and Theo Chocolate Sorbet.

      Delete