25 June 2012

Wallingford Gardens, Coffee + Carmelita

Welcome to Wallyhood--or Wallingford. A Seattle neighborhood just south of Woodland Park Zoo and east of the U-district.
 My parents are avid gardeners. Consequently, they have fostered a thriving appreciation for gardens in me (even if my physical skills at gardening are, frankly, tragically late blooming).  Nevertheless, as a way to celebrate this rare day of sunshine in June, they took me out on a garden tour this Sunday over in Wallingford.  Here is sampling a pictures I took at some of the gardens this morning/afternoon.  Looking at them makes me feel all inspired :)
We could smell these roses from yards away. Now, that is a fragrant flower.


 Onions, aliums and poppies. Oh my!
This kitty, Tux, was lounging about in one of the gardens on the tour. She was so freaking friendly. Thus, a mini cat photo shoot was in order.
 Of course, no sunny day in Seattle is complete without iced coffee. 
 Another awkward photo of my lower region + shoes. Perhaps I should actually attempt to do a proper OOTD? For anyone's reference, the shoes are by Harajuku Lovers (a Japanese style brand) and are covered in animal cracker box print.  No, seriously.  The tongue of the shoes has the "nutrition facts" label embossed down the front.  Reeeeaally old and worn in. But still cute.

After wandering through the Wallingford gardens, we went for a looooooong walk around  Green Lake Park before heading over for a bite to eat at Carmelita in Phinney Ridge. The weather in Seattle was abnormally sunny *shock horror* so we took the golden opportunity to linger over our food on the restaurant's back  patio.  Utterly beautiful.  I loved their use of "windows" and flower boxes ^_^
 A big glass of tamarind-ginger lemonade. Super tangy and crisp.
 A smoked chickpea and sofrito empanada. There was much hoarding of the romesco sauce (far left in the picture) on my part. 
 My mum ordered eggplant agnolotti. 
 My Dad chose the polenta gnocci with 'shrooms.  
 And I went really crazy with my order and ended up deciding on...errrmmm... pizza. But! this pizza was loaded up with arugula, caramelized shallots, hazelnuts and nettle pesto. Yum. Not your godfather's by any means.   
We also indulged in Carmeltia's scrumptious dessert selection, but unfortunately, we plowed through our sweets before I remembered to snap a few photos. *hang head in shame*.  I can only insist that you try anything with lavender on the dessert menu.  It will change your perspective on eating floral flavored drinks/food and such. Once that door is open, no going back. 

Cheers,
kaite ;]

No comments:

Post a Comment