26 February 2012

Overnight Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

Sometimes I go to the grocery store, have a slap-happy hay-day in the produce department, trudge back to my dorm and whilst unloading my haul wonder, why the frex did I buy that?  At the time, standing in front of said produce item in the grocery, I probably had some brilliant recipe inspiration.  But between the produce department, the bulk section, the refrigerated tofu section, check out, swinging by the barista to pick up a cup of coffee and marching through the snow the bus stop, that inspiration floated off into the snow flurries of Missoula. Enter snow flurries:
(second picture taken by Michael Gallacher, published in the Missoulian

On my recent expedition to the grocery store I came back with a zucchini. Yes, a zucchini. In February.  In the middle of a snow flurry in February in Montana.  Someone, please tell me what grand foodie inspiration struck me when I saw a freaking zucchini.  I also so happen to have some dried strawberries in my mini pantry arsenal. 
 Since strawberries are oh-so-middle-of-winter fare like zucchinis, I decided to put the two together in celebration of out of season foods.  And how do I plan to put them together?  If you have already read the title of this post (or just read this blog frequently), oatmeal is the natural medium to use up unsuspecting zucchinis and winter strawberries.  
People, I am making Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

Ingredients:
-1 medium-large zucchini
-1/3 c. rolled oats
-1 tsp cinnamon 
-1/4 tsp ginger
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
-1/2 tsp maple flavor (or just sub with vanilla)
-1/3 c. water  + 1/3 c. water
-1/3 c. non-dairy milch
-6-7 dried strawberries (or any other dried fruit)
- 1 tbsp vegan dark chocolate chunks, I used Enjoylife
-sweetener to taste

Directions:
Pulverize the zucchini into a mush by whichever means you prefer (food processor, blender, grating etc).  It should look a bit like caterpillar green apple sauce.
Mix oats, zucchini sauce, extracts, spices, 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup non-dairy milch together in a microwave safe bowl with enough room for the mixture to double in size during the cooking process.  I myself am guilty of over stuffing my oatmeal bowls and then bowling the contents all over my microwave.  Over stuff and make a green explosion at your own peril. 

Microwave the whole mixture on HIGH for about 3 minutes.  For my microwave, this is the perfect length of time to not boil over the mixture and cook the oats to the right consistency for the next step.  Start out microwaving your oats for 2 minutes and then microwave the mixture in 30 second intervals until the oatmeal is, frankly, the overall consistency of snot.  If it can hold a spoon up in a hurricane, you're golden.


Mix the oatmeal to help release some of the steam and then allow the mixture to sit for about 2-5 minutes. Add the remaining 1/3 cup of water and then rather vigorously stir to fully incorporate the water. Plop in the dried strawberries or other dried fruit.  Stick the whole concoction in the fridge to settle up overnight. 


In the morning, the oatmeal will have absorbed the remaining liquid. Stir in about 1-2 tbsp of water or non-dairy milch to the oatmeal to add a bit more moisture back to the porridge.  Reheat until desired eating temperature.  Some may like it cold (pudding-like), others may like it hot (fresh from the oven).  Stir in the dark chocolate chips and sweeten to desired taste.
When life gives you zucchinis and snow flurries, make zucchini bread oatmeal.


Cheers, kaite ;]

No comments:

Post a Comment