25 February 2012

POTD: What I Made with Baked Beans

Does everyone remember that post where I asked how I could serve up baked beans? Hmmm, me thinks not. {click here for a reminder}


A few days ago I made made myself up a plate of baked beans, complete with all the other unusual suspects.  Instead of the more traditional cornbread, BBQ, English toast, sausage or collard greens, I paired my saucy beans with crock-pot roasted parsnips, cheezy rice and onion jam. Unconventional, but it was what I had in the fridge.
This seems like the apt point to include a basic summary of how I roast vegetables in my crock-pot.  


Method: chop a variety of solid vegetables (such as carrots, parsnips, squash, onions, brussel spouts, beets, Jerusalem artichokes, potatoes, etc.) into 1 inch chunks.  I usually chop enough to fill my crock-pot about 3/4 of the way full.  Place all of the veggie chunks into the crock-pot, drizzle with 1/2 to 1 tbsp each of olive oil and vinegar depending on the amount of veggies in crock-pot.  Cook on HIGH for about 2-3 hrs, or until the veggies are soft and have a slightly "crisp" exterior.   Try to stir once or twice while cooking to ensure even "roasting."


But if we are being frank, this is a crock-pot.  Don't miraculously expect oven fries with this method.


Anyone have other suggestions on how to pair baked beans?  Would you like a separate post with more detailed picture steps on how I roast food items in my crock-pot?  Please comment!


On a side note, I mentioned earlier how mid-term weeks usually entail:  increased coffee consumption, repetitive drawings of molecules and body systems on my mirror, chipped nail varnish, minimal-to-no-showering, insomniac pacing blah blah blah. As today is Saturday, here is what my hand looks like at the end of said week... in a little need of TLC.
Needless to say, I am about to repaint me nails and give my digits a break. (Does reading psychology or about the cardiovascular system count as a finger break?)


What does everyone else do after a exam-packed week?  Do you have a personal pamper ritual or special activity reserved for "winding down"?


Cheers, kaite ;]

No comments:

Post a Comment